Over at Fandango Groovers Movie Blog Andy has started a new blog-a-thon in which he asks ‘what is the best year for movies?’ It’s actually a great question which isn’t as easy to answer as you think. I was inspired by Andrew over at Andy Buckle’s Film Emporium to participate. Check out my picks after the jump!
This was so much harder than I thought it would be. I’ve had to list a couple of “runner-up” years, as they were too good not to mention.
1995: Se7en, Toy Story, Clueless, Ghost in the Shell, Empire Records
1998: Saving Private Ryan, The Big Lebowski, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Truman Show, The Thin Red Line
2001: Spirited Away, Muholland Dr., Monsters Inc, Amelie
2010: Inception, The Social Network, Easy A, Shutter Island, Winter’s Bone
But my movie year is…..
- Cruel Intentions (Roger Kumble)
- Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson)
- Fight Club (David Fincher)
- The Matrix (The Wachowski Brothers)
- American Beauty (Sam Mendes)
- American Pie (Paul Weitz)
- The Sixth Sense (M. Night Shyamalan)
- Dogma (Kevin Smith)
- The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola)
- The Iron Giant (Brad Bird)
- Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze)
- Any Given Sunday (Oliver Stone)
What do you think of 1999? What would your year be? Let me know in the comments!